Top Ten Tuesday #34 - Top Ten (not so) Recent Reads I Enjoyed That Were Out Of My Comfort Zone


IT'S TOP TEN TUESDAY! This week's topic is about your top ten recent books you've read that you ended up really enjoying that were out of your comfort zone!

Well, I've awkwardly really struggled to think of books I've read that aren't from a genre I really read.. These books are all books that I've read in the past...two years because I don't venture out of my comfort zone often.


I agree. I think it's time I explored the distant lands of thriller, high fantasy and historical fiction more often.

SO! Without further adieu!

The books I read that prove I'm a tenacious book lion:

*cue shocked gasps* I know, it doesn't seem like a book that's out of my comfort zone but it is because although I love contemporaries...I'm terrified of books that have illnesses in - books that are, for lack of better adjectives, quite gritty. I was scared of reading TFIOS because it deals with cancer but I loved it so, SO much.


Most people who know me know that I'm really not a fan of thrillers because I am a total chicken. I got this book at the library on a whim and once I started reading...I couldn't stop. I read most of the book in one sitting and HOLY FLIP, it was freaking brilliant! 

GUYS.

Guys.

This book was freaking incredible. It was a murder mystery and those freak me out because 1) still being scared of the dark, 2) having an overactive imagination and 3) reading books about murderers hiding behind furniture do not go well together. But anyway, I read this and I LOVED it. The writing, the plot, MY NEW OTP EDDIE AND JO WHO ARE THE BOMB DOT COM CAN I GET AN AMEN?!

My best friend read this book and she was like OH MY GOSH KYRA YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK and then I was like, foshizzle mah homie but less gangster like because I'm the furthest thing from a gangster...


ANYWAY, it was such a good book! The plot twist at the end, the feeling of terror the whole way through and the well-written love triangle made this a really, really enjoyable read!

This series. THIS SERIES. Has caused me tears and shrieking and a tattered heart but WOW, it was worth it! This is my all-time favorite series and I honestly can't express how much I love it. It's a horror/fantasy genre and I never read horror because I'm a wimp but AH, I LOVE IT SO MUCH.


I don't enjoy classics, not really. I've tried to get into numerous but classics and I just do not connect. So when I got TKAM to review I was quite apprehensive because what if I didn't like one of the most well-loved books ever?? Anyway, I loved it. It's one of my new favorites and I can't believe I waited so long to read it! 

Once again, I never thought of reading this book because it's a murder mystery and I don't like those but I loved this book! The quaint writing, the friendship, the mystery...it was so brilliant! I really need to continue this series!

I don't generally read high fantasy all that much as I struggle to create worlds unless the writing is really descriptive. Going into this book I was so nervous that I wasn't going to enjoy it but ah, I LOVED IT SO MUCH. The world and the characters and the writing and ahh, it was so good.

I had to read this for English Literature and I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it as I haven't read many, if any, plays before and it was quite an old one too but I really, really enjoyed it. It made me laugh so hard and I just loved reading it.

I'll never forget getting this book when I was 14 (I can't believe that was 3 years ago I feel so old what is this life) and I was really intrigued but quite terrified too because ghosts seriously freak me out (most things do, as you can tell) but AH, this series is SO. FREAKING. GOOD. The humor and the spookiness and the friendship and the premise and AH JUST READ IT ALREADY.

Those are my top books that were out of my comfort zone! (Probably all the books out of my comfort zone but I've loved pretty much all of them, so if that's not a sign to explore uncharted territory, then I'm not sure what is!). 

What are books you've read that you wouldn't generally read that you loved? Have you read any of these? What genres are you uncomfortable reading? LET ME KNOW, DOWN BELOW! (I'm a poet but I do know it! Okay, I'll stop now).