What's a Girl Gotta Do? by Holly Bourne was a fantastically fun feminist read!

What's a Girl Gotta Do?Title: What's a Girl Gotta Do?
Series: Normal #3
Author: Holly Bourne
Publication: August 1st 2016, Usborne Publishing
Pages: 432 Pages, Paperback
Source: Thank you to Usborne for sending me a copy of this book to review!
Rating: 5/5 CUPCAKES!
HOW TO START A FEMINIST REVOLUTION:
1. Call out anything that is unfair on one gender
2. Don't call out the same thing twice (so you can sleep and breathe)
3. Always try to keep it funny
4. Don't let anything slide. Even when you start to break...
Lottie's determined to change the world with her #Vagilante vlog. Shame the trolls have other ideas...

I loved this book. I loved this entire trilogy, one that taught me most of what I know about feminism and everyday sexism that still occurs, one that made me feel understood due to the author's brutal honesty on the struggle of living with mental illness and one that made me emerge feeling empowered, wiser and content. If you're looking for books that are deliciously funny, unflinchingly candid and terrifically thought-provoking - you need these books in your life, I guarantee you.

Since I first became acquainted with Lottie in the first installment, I absolutely loved her character! She's incredibly clever (and she's not afraid to admit it), hilarious and wonderfully enthusiastic about feminism, learning, fighting the patriarchy and boys. I adored getting to know Lottie more and I highly admired her determination and her bravery in facing everyday sexism head on despite the relentless insults and hate thrown her way. She's a highly admirable character and I love how she's fearless in her pursuit for equality among the sexes. I've been wanting to read her story since the first book and it most definitely did not disappoint! I feel like I've learnt so much whilst reading this trilogy: I've learnt more about OCD, about alcoholism, about sexism and feminism and cognitive dissonance and I feel like I've grown after reading these books...it's an incredible feeling.

I loved getting to spend time with Evie and Amber again too! I like how Holly Bourne mentioned how Evie was still recovering, that she wasn't 100% healed yet and that there were still things she struggled with daily as in so many books I've read mental illness is portrayed as a minor, easily conquered inconvenience and it's not. Holly Bourne perfectly understands the struggle and the difficulties of anxiety and I was so happy that she showed that it's a continuous process and not something that you cure easily and it never returns - Holly's honest voice among YA fiction is incredibly refreshing and wholeheartedly reassuring!

I LOVED Amber in What's A Girl Gotta Do? I've loved her in the other books too but she was just so utterly hilarious in this book and I can't count the amount of times that I practically had tears streaming down my face due to her antics.

Once again I loved the girls' friendship and the way they supported each other and were constantly there for one another. Whenever I read a Spinster Club novel I feel like I'm meeting with old friends again. They're the kind of books where the characters are alive, where you feel like you can call them up and talk to them for hours, where you can imagine them living and breathing in reality - it's incredible how animate the girls are. Another thing I love about this trilogy is the immense amount of girl empowerment. I think every female should read this trilogy as the books are an excellent reminder that other girls and women aren't our competition, that other girls are our friends and we don't have to allow society to pit us against each other, it's a vital reminder that we're all in this together. These novels are so incredibly inspirational and uplifting and I think everybody should read them to not only grow as a feminist, but as a person too.

I adored the romance as well! I don't know if it would be spoilery to say who the romantic interest was but AH I ADORED HIM. He was cocky and argumentative but he was also kind and funny and sweet *squeals*. I totally shipped them. I also love how Lottie wasn't afraid to question and debate and voice her opinions in their relationship or show how intelligent she was as I know girls can sometimes be somewhat afraid to share their viewpoints which they shouldn't be. SO GO, LOTTIE!


What's A Girl Gotta Do? by Holly Bourne was a humorous, thought-provoking and fundamental read in our understanding of feminism, sexism and patriarchy and how we can go about eliminating everyday sexism that still exists. Not only is it a book that taught me so much, but the characters were so wonderful and it felt like I was being welcomed by old friends, the writing was excellent, the dialogue was perfect and I found myself laughing several times. A perfect end to an incredibly uplifting trilogy - a must read.

I give it: 5/5 cupcakes